– NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) today announced local availability of NetApp Private Storage (NPS) for Microsoft Azure, a solution that enables customers to extend their IT Infrastructure to Microsoft Azure, creating a seamless hybrid cloud environment. This solution builds on NetApp’s portfolio of Microsoft Cloud solutions, which include FlexPod with Microsoft Private Cloud, and enables customers to harness the power of Microsoft Azure.
NetApp Private Storage for Azure continues NetApp’s hybrid cloud journey and compliments NetApp’s existing hybrid cloud offerings with AWS and SoftLayer. The combination of NetApp Private Storage and Microsoft Azure provides customers dedicated, enterprise storage with the elasticity and savings of Microsoft Azure public cloud. Azure ExpressRoute, connects these resources to provide a secure, high-speed, low-latency connection.
With more organisations turning to hybrid cloud to extend the value of their IT infrastructure, NetApp Private Storage for Microsoft Azure allows enterprises to build an agile infrastructure that bridges private and public cloud resources to optimise business value.
Key Benefits of NetApp Private Storage for Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Azure and NetApp for enterprise workloads: combines the elasticity and savings of Microsoft Azure compute with the speed, reliability and availability of NetApp storage for enterprise workloads such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle and SAP
- Data “next to” vs. “into” the cloud: Data stays under control of the customer while offering performance similar to on-premise infrastructure stacks but with the savings and elasticity of Azure
- Compliance and sovereignty regulations: customer control of storage helps meets customer requirements. Advanced compliance features include: SnapLock data permanence functionality and NetApp disk encryption
- Peak workload management: match Azure compute resources to utilisation and avoid large CAPEX investments required for peak, un-forecasted, or seasonal workloads while maintaining data control on NetApp
- Disaster recovery at a lower cost: cost-effective single or multi-region disaster recovery, activating Azure only in DR test and failover scenarios
- Hybrid cloud accelerates innovation and time-to-market: leverage the speed and flexibility of Azure compute for development and test
- Optimise cloud resources with System Center: System Centre and NetApp PowerShell Toolkit enables management and mobility of data between private cloud, and private storage connected to Azure
With NetApp Private Storage situated at a co-location facility, customers can connect directly to Microsoft Azure. NetApp Private Storage for Microsoft Azure has demonstrated that ExpressRoute provides 36 percent better performance versus VPN over public Internet connections.
NetApp have deployed a dedicated Proof Of Concept (POC) lab connecting to multiple hyperscale cloud providers such as Azure and AWS to allow customers to see how they can leverage any cloud with NetApp efficiencies and benefits. The POC lab is part of NetApp’s Hybrid Cloud Centre of Excellence, which also includes access to three Australian Hybrid Cloud Experts to provide local knowledge and tips for implementation. You can access the POC lab here.
For the past 15 years, Microsoft and NetApp have worked closely to optimise NetApp storage and data management solutions for Microsoft environments. Today, more than 30,000 global enterprise customers store, protect and manage their Microsoft data with NetApp. To make it easier to deploy Microsoft application infrastructure, enterprises have turned to integrated infrastructure solutions such as FlexPod from Cisco and NetApp. NetApp provides the award-winning , Microsoft Private Cloud Fast Track validated architecture to accelerate customer deployment of Window Server 2012 R2 and System Center 2012 R2. Recently, NetApp was recognised as a “best-in-class” Microsoft partner, with two finalist spots at the Microsoft 2014 Partner of the Year Awards.
NetApp also recently expanded its hybrid cloud portfolio with the >acquisition of SteelStore – a product that gives customers choice in how they extend their existing data protection infrastructure into the cloud. Through SteelStore, NetApp will offer enterprises cloud-integrated storage to securely and efficiently back up data to both private and public cloud environments.
NetApp’s expanding portfolio is aimed at providing customers with choice and control of their data, allowing them to adopt hybrid cloud initiatives on their terms.
Supporting A/NZ Quotes
Corey Adolphus, Strategic Technical Alliances Manager, NetApp ANZ
“Modern enterprises require a flexible IT infrastructure that can scale on demand, and our portfolio of NetApp Private Storage for public cloud solutions enable this. NetApp. Private Storage for Microsoft Azure enables organisations to simply and securely extend into the cloud, expanding options for enterprises, without adding complexity. First with FlexPod for Microsoft Private Cloud and now with the addition of private storage for Microsoft Azure, our vision is to enable workloads to move seamlessly across a portfolio of cloud resources.”
Steve Manley, Managing Director, NetApp ANZ.
“NetApp Private Storage for Azure simplifies the customers journey to public cloud. The ability to harness the power of a hybrid cloud solution allows customers to manage risk by maintaining total control of their data, and gives them the power to respond to seasonality in business. NPS for Azure means that businesses save cost by not having to design and build their own infrastructure, and allows for flexibility by enabling them to leverage the power of the public cloud to extend their IT capabilities.”
“NPS for Azure adds another dimension to our broader hybrid cloud strategy. By expanding’s NetApp’s cloud solutions to include NPS for Azure, AWS and SoftLayer, we allow customers to choose between multiple, industry-leading clouds whilst still maintaining complete control over their data. ”
Toby Bowers, Director, Cloud and Enterprise business group, Microsoft Australia.
“Microsoft and NetApp share a similar vision and customer-centric approach in Australia,”
“Microsoft’s hybrid cloud solutions provide the best of both worlds and expand our customers’ IT options without added complexity. By combining NPS with Microsoft Azure, together we can offer dedicated, enterprise storage with the elasticity and savings of Microsoft Azure. This means our customers can continue to tap into a growing collection of complementary services that help drive business model transformation, better manage variable workloads and deliver new digital services and experiences for customers and employees. NPS for Microsoft Azure uses ExpressRoute, enabling private connections between the Australian Azure regions and infrastructure that’s on your premises or in a colocation environment. ExpressRoute connections do not go over the public Internet, and offer more reliability, faster speeds, lower latencies and higher security.”
Jeremy Deutsch, Managing Director Equinix Australia
Equinix and NetApp’s multi-cloud strategy have made it possible for customers to utilize a broad range of Cloud and IT Services through the Equinix Cloud Exchange while addressing specific storage requirements. This offering offers choice and flexibility – one architecture to connect multiple clouds and multiple networks. Customers can adjust their use of services as business needs change”.
Peter Lillywhite, Director Dilignet A/NZ
“We are excited for the opportunity to continue to grow our already strong partnership with NetApp. Dilignet’s skills with Microsoft Azure in combination with NetApp data management capabilities have resulted in a unique solution which offers a true Hybrid Cloud model which has been offered at precisely the right time for the market”.
- Read about NetApp’s Cloud Strategy
- Listen to Phil Brotherton discuss NetApp’s Cloud Strategy
- Link to Microsoft case study
- Demonstration of NPS for Microsoft Azure
- Follow NetApp on Twitter
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that deliver outstanding cost efficiency and accelerate business breakthroughs. Our commitment to living our core values and consistently being recognised as a great place to work around the world are fundamental to our long-term growth and success, as well as the success of our pathway partners and customers. Discover our passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.au
Global Partner Support for NetApp Private Storage for Azure:
Mike Thompson, president and CEO, Groupware Technology
FlexPod customers will see tremendous value in their NetApp investment by being able to further realize the benefits of NetApp technology in Microsoft Azure. NetApp Private Storage will be critical for our customers making the transition to Hybrid cloud architectures by leveraging Microsoft ExpressRoute and Microsoft Azure.”
Rod Sapp, vice president for security and cloud products, Unisys Stealth
“As the frequency and sophistication of cyber threats grow, enterprises need highly secure hybrid cloud solutions to remain competitive and maintain the confidence of their customers. NetApp plans to leverage Unisys Stealth cloud security capabilities to deliver mission-critical cloud offerings to hosting service providers. With NetApp Private Storage for Microsoft Azure, NetApp can further improve the performance of hybrid cloud solutions.”
For more information, or an interview with a NetApp executive, please contact: